Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Empty Nest Syndrome

I am 57 years old. I thought for months I was 56 and lo, and behold, I just found out I am 57 and will be 58 on my birthday. It is amazing how the old mind works. Or, should I say how it doesn't work. LOL

My daughter came for lunch today and we commiserated about the Empty Nest Syndrome. Her youngest, 15 year old (Miss Priss), has a busy summer schedule this year. Lately it has been drivers education. Next comes the trips to Church camp, followed by Cheer camp, and another church camp and so forth and so on. Mom said this will be her last summer to constantly haul to and fro from one activity to another. Miss Priss even has a part time summer job this year helping her dad work the concessions at the school ball field. Daddy and his wife open up and Miss Priss goes up later and works the counter during games, for evenings and week-end tournaments. Busy girl!~ Mom knows that next year Miss Priss will be doing her own driving.

This leaves her hubby to go to his fishing tournaments and fish days (that last all day) without her this year. She wants to closely track the travels of our girl during her summer, as it should be. So, she has had to make choices about some of the week-end and evening activities that she and hubby are accustomed to participating in. She has been to a number of ball games and tournaments when His grandchildren were scheduled to play. He should try and be more understanding about her desire to be a good Mother.

For my part in all this, my 39 year old son has moved to East Texas about 20 miles from the Louisiana state line. For all their lives my son and daughter have been within hollering distance almost. He could stay for dinner, drop by anytime and he did. I got used to him popping in and out during the day, sometimes for lunch, for a drink, use the directory, or computer, or just hangout. It has been hard the last week or so for me to know he isn't doing that anymore.

His boys are still here with their mom for the summer activities. I will see them. My oldest grandson, 21, stays a night or two a week over here. I still have BoBo at least two nights a week. Were it not for the time I have with him, I think the grief over my son moving would be very difficult for me. But, I know the work situation there as a result of this economy is much better than here in Shawnee. He has already found a beautiful house and is making arrangements for it. He sent pictures and we text back and forth. I try not to bug him. So, I only text the morning scripture and wait for his contact. I Don't wanna be a tiresome mom. Momma misses him so much though.

Not just a month ago, he had some free time so he mowed and was going to do the weed eating in the backyard. While he was out in back he started raking leaves under the Magnolia tree and picked up a small copperhead snake. That has been a real worrier for me since then. LOL I've been convinced since that the retainer wall is housing a nest. But, I digress. My point is, he was in and out and now he is in Texas. Oh! woe is Momma! LOL

WE have always been such a close knit bunch it is very hard on his sister too. I am just so thankful that for so many years my kids were right here. WE had impromptu lunches and dinners, visits and get-togethers. I am blessed.

I just pray that all goes well in Texas. And, I pray all goes well with drivers ed and Miss Priss traveling on the road. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment