Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Apostolic Life by David K. Bernard

The Apostolic Life by David K. Bernard was a fascinating and very informative book. I learned so much and this book answered so many questions. I came away with a clearer understanding of the differences in trinitarian and oneness beliefs for one thing. This was the kind of book that after each chapter I had to take time to think it over and process the reading material. Chapters in this book included information on Science and Scripture, Evangelism, Ministry, Outreach, roles of women in church and so forth. There were chapters here that did not apply to me personally, but the reading was still very interesting. The areas that I found to be useful for me on a personal level, left me with guidance for spiritual growth and enlightenment.

So many of the books I read in all honesty are just drivel. Some are very highly entertaining but, provide nothing more. Entertainment is great too. But, sometimes the mind, body and spirit need so much more than entertainment fodder for the brain.

I borrowed this book from my Pastor and I so wanted to keep it.

Several months ago during a sermon he preached on how we need to fuel our spirits with positive reading materials. I am making a conscious effort to add spiritual guidance materials to my piles.

Last week I went to the T-Town Library book sale, and came away with two bags. One is loaded with books by authors like Corrie Ten Boom and Joyce Meyers. The other bag with books to add the the winter stash for entertainment. This year is fast flying by and I have had so little time to read. I did read one other book recently and it took me over two weeks. I am an obsessive reader and a paperback never takes more than a day or two. But, this has been a hectic demanding year and this month more than all the others. I will try and take a day a week this fall to do some catch up reading. :

No comments:

Post a Comment