Friday, February 5, 2010

Book of Remembrances! My roof!~

For the last three or four years we have tried to save for a roofing fund. Our roof has been on the house since we bought it 20 years ago. It seemed that every time we got it built up someone in the family had a financial crisis and the money would dwindle. It was very frustrating. But, you have to help your family right? With the economy like it has been the last year or so it has been crucial to keep all of us afloat.

After Hurricane Katrina the cost of roofing materials and replacement costs in some cases tripled. We heard that the cost of oil was part of the problem. Either way, we were fighting a loosing battle with the problem of our roof.

Early one November morning last fall I took my granddaughter to school. On the way home, I topped a hill and felt strongly that I needed to pray about the roof of all things, and turn the situation over to God. So, I did, in a simple and quiet request, I asked him to help us figure out how to find the funds to replace our roof.

I came home and got on with my day. About four hours later my doorbell rang. When I answered it there was a very pleasant and cheerful young man standing there in a shirt with a business logo and a clip board. He told me he was with a roofing company and they were doing a door-to-door visitation to ask if residents would like a "free estimate" for roofing. I tell you truely it really happened. I thought, ok. WE didn't have the money and I knew that, and I told him so. He then said that I would at least have some idea how much it might cost. So, I gave him the go ahead.

After about 15 minutes he knocked on the door. He handed me an estimate and the cost just blew my mind. It was around $11,000. Whew!~ Then he told me that I had quite a bit of hail damage and I might want to talk to my insurance company. That because of the damage, insurance might cover part of the cost.

I talked to my husband that night and we decided this might be part of the solution. So, the next day I called our carrier. The very next day the insurance rep called and had someone here the following day. By the following monday I had an estimate from them. It was for about two thirds of the total cost. We decided it was now or never.

I talked to a lady at our church about doing our roof, but, they were booked and busy and we really needed to get it done soon. Winter was coming and if it was a bad winter (and it has been), we would be in trouble. And, Spring follows winter with stormy weather. Soooo, I called the young man, and he came and we talked. The roofing company ended up doing our entire roof for the amount that the insurance company estimated. We got a 35 year roof for the money from the hail damage check.

I serve a God who is Able!~ He answered my prayer in the same day within hours. I think that using our fund for helping others had something to do with his timely response. We used the money for unselfish reasons and it came back pressed down and running over.

St. Luke 6:38 "Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give unto your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again."

A non-believer might call it a coincidence, or just plain dumb luck. But, I know, as in times past, a prayer with sincere intent was heard and answered. I am humbled to share this with anyone who might read this post. My God is so good. I have a roof just because I asked for help without clamour and waited.

No comments:

Post a Comment