Thursday, January 14, 2010

Standing on the Promises!

The old song Standing on the Promises has been going through my mind the last few days. I hadn't thought of it in years. I guess it is to remind me that I do have promises from my God within his word. Some days I fly along and don't trip or stumble in my faith walk. Then the mind goes on a bender and I am flailing along caught up in worry, or worse grumbling about everything. LOL

I am so human. I get into worry about my daughters health or BoBo, or my son, or one of the grandkids. I worry about my hubby and his zealous work ethic. He works so hard. My magnificent mind goes overboard, the attack is on and I worry. I take some health issue and turn it into a life threatening issue. Then I have to head for the Bible and seek his word. I make myself seek him when those things threaten my sanity. By his grace I am sober, and clear headed.

But, sometimes the insanity of life and the world around me can sure trip me up. Maybe it is some idiot who cuts in front of me while driving, I slam on the brakes, and I want to shout at them. Or, it could be I burnt the toast. I can take these things and run amuck. Some trivial thing (when I lose my perspective), can send me reeling into a mind bender.

Even the local or world news can be enough for most of us. It is so heart wrenching to see and hear the news about Haiti for example. I pray for the people of Haiti. I pray for his mercy and grace over there amid the colossal devastation. I realize that my silly little dramas are so minuscule in comparison with the devastation those poor souls face right now. I know that some of this comes from Matthew chapter 24. I am aware...

I know that evil is at work and on the attack all around me but God will triumph. My text message this morning was:

I John 4:4 "Ye are of God little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world."

This section in I John, is about facing the spirit of the Anti-Christ in the world around us. But, it also applies to life on a daily basis. We all have heard the words greater is he that is in me, than he that is in the world. Today I choose to remember that the Spirit of my Saviour, Jesus, lives within me and He is greater. Greater than any illness, or attack of the mind. He is greater than any environmental devastation the world may be facing. He is greater than any physical or mental adversity I or we might face. I know He is Able and I am standing on his promises. In the immortal words, "We shall overcome", I am lifted up.

No comments:

Post a Comment